Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Norfolk
We Are Dedicated to Helping You Obtain Fair Compensation
At Kalfus & Nachman PC, we help clients who have been injured in devastating motorcycle accidents secure maximum compensation for their damages. Many motorcycle accidents are caused by the negligence of other drivers on the road.
Because motorcycles don’t provide the same level of protection as other motor vehicles, riders are extremely vulnerable to serious injuries during a collision. Our skilled lawyers understand how difficult it can be to deal with insurance companies after an accident. That is why we are here to help ensure that you are not taken advantage of.
Call (855) 880-8163 to set up your free consultation today.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is tasked with tracking and cataloging vehicle accidents across the country, including motorcycle accidents. The data that the agency collects is instrumental for understanding how motorcycle accidents are happening and what can be done to better protect riders.
Using information from 2018, the NHTSA determined:
- 4,985 motorcyclists died in traffic collisions, a number that increased since 2013 but fell from 2017.
- 28% of motorcycle riders who died in accidents were intoxicated, down from 43% in previous years.
- About 30% of fatal motorcycle accidents involved riders who had no valid motorcycle license, which could be a correlation to the number of fatal drunk riding accidents.
- 71% of riders use DOT-compliant motorcycle helmets, up from 64% in 2015.
- Motorcycle riders are 28 times more likely to die in a crash than the average motorist.
- Motorcyclists are involved in 14% of all fatal accidents but only account for 3% of all vehicles on the road.
This data shows that reckless riding remains a significant problem on America’s roadways. Driving without a license, without a proper helmet, or while intoxicated or impaired contribute to so thousands of motorcyclist deaths each year. You can protect yourself from such accidents by following the utmost safety standards whenever you ride.
Leading Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcyclists are often catastrophically injured in motorcycle accidents that aren’t even their fault. Instead, many motorcycle accidents are caused by outside factors that motorcycle riders cannot control.
Two of the top causes of motorcycle accidents that we have seen while handling cases are:
- Negligent drivers: Drivers in larger vehicles have an unfortunate tendency to not see smaller vehicles when checking blind spots and mirrors. The result is sometimes that a driver can look right at a motorcycle and not “see” it. Failing to pay attention to motorcyclists and refusing to share the road are ways that negligent drivers commonly cause motorcycle accidents.
- Poor roadway conditions: Cars and trucks can drive right across or through small roadway hazards and barely even notice them. Motorcyclists, on the other hand, do not have that luxury. Seemingly little issues like potholes, light rain, oil spills, loose debris, cracked roads, and stray animals can be the sole cause of catastrophic motorcycle accidents. Lighter, faster, and two-wheeled motorcycles are more difficult to control in even ideal roadway conditions.
However, many other motorcyclists are injured due to their own inexperience. All it takes is one wrong move like overcorrecting when avoiding traffic to cause a crash. Continued practice in safe conditions is a must for any motorcyclist who feels like they are losing their edge or who has limited time spent riding. You can also research motorcycle training courses in your area, which we recommend taking once a year.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Injuries that are commonly sustained by motorcyclists include:
- Skull Fractures
- Road Rash or Friction Burns
- Muscle Damage
- Dental Injuries
- Traumatic Brian Injuries
- Spinal Injuries
- Lower Extremity Injuries
If you sustained a serious injury in a motorcycle accident, call (855) 880-8163 to find out how our skilled legal team can assist you.
Get Help From a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, you should immediately call our law firm to discuss what legal options are available to you. We can review the details of your situation and help you build a strong legal strategy that will protect your rights and interests. We are here to fight for you. Let us get to work on your case today.
Contact our Norfolk motorcycle accident lawyer to schedule a consultation with our legal professionals. We are here to serve you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.