- Our FAQ
- Our Videos
- Community News
How Cruise Ships Avoid Liability
We are familiar with all the tricks cruise lines use to limit their liability. Most cruise lines give passengers limited time to file personal injury suits. They use complicated legalese in the fine print of your travel documents to protect themselves—and often blame you for your injury, claiming that you were reckless or irresponsible.
Most cruise ship injury cases must be filed within one year from the date of the injury. Additionally, the claim must be filed in the state where the cruise ship boarded, not in your home state. Therefore, if you suffered an injury while being a passenger on a cruise ship, or suffered an injury during an excursion sponsored by the cruise line, you must act immediately.
Common Causes of Cruise Ship Injuries
There are many hazards on the cruise ship which can cause serious injury and even illness. While most cruise companies uphold high safety standards for their passengers, sometimes they may take shortcuts to increase their profits.
The following are the most common causes of cruise ship injuries:
- Slip and fall accidents – According to a three-year study by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), almost 45 percent of all cruise ship injuries were caused by slips, trips, and/or falls. When it comes to injuries ashore, the figure increases to nearly 70 percent. Slip and fall accidents can lead to traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, broken bones, as well as bruises and lacerations. Then there are falls from elevated heights caused by slippery surfaces or lack of guard rails, which could be potentially fatal.
- Illness outbreak – Cruise companies must have sufficient food safety and sanitation standards, as well as a skilled medical team on board. The outbreak of a serious illness can be a devastating event, affecting many or all the passengers onboard. If the illness was caused by tainted food, poor ship conditions, or lack of medical staff, the cruise ship can be held liable for the outbreak.
- Assault – Another common cause of injury is assault, whether it’s violent or sexual in nature. Crew members must follow strict policies which forbid socializing with passengers, yet sexual assault still occurs. Furthermore, passengers commit crimes against each other. If the cruise line failed to provide adequate security to prevent assaults, they can result in serious injuries.
- Cruise ship collisions – Although this type of situation rarely occurs, passengers can suffer life-threatening injuries if the cruise ship crashes into underwater debris, land masses, or anything else, such as another cruise ship.
Our Virginia cruise accident lawyers are your protectors against these tactics. We know the law, and we can help you. Call Kalfus & Nachman PC at (855) 880-8163 or contact us for a free case evaluation.
See What Our Clients Say
“I highly recommend Kalfus & Nachman. They were on point from start to finish. Their office called me to keep me informed every step of the way. Everyone was friendly and returned calls and e-mails promptly! Very professional!”- Victor Gilmore
“They took the time needed to listen and explain the answers to any questions I asked. The follow-up to return my calls was excellent and the results were unparalleled.”- Nancy Lewis
“I was able to gain a sense of "calm" in the midst of dealing with an injury and all the hardship that comes with it. Thanks!!!”- K. Williams
We Mean Business
- $10.5 Million Recovered Truck Accident
- $10.9 Million Recovered Traumatic Brain Injury
- $2.2 Million Recovered Premises Liability
Meet Our team
Tell Them We Mean Business
Hernandez Attorney Read More
Kalfus of Counsel Read More
Nachman of Counsel Read More
Aufenger, III of Counsel Read More
Suit III of Counsel Read More
Fitzgerald, II Attorney Read More
Scott Attorney Read More
Jacobs Attorney Read More
Levens Attorney Read More
O'Dawe Attorney Read More
Schulwolf Attorney Read More
Smircina Attorney Read More
Vaughn Attorney Read More
Slaughter Attorney Read More
Sternberg Attorney Read More
Donahue Attorney Read More
Our Awards & Accolades
Do I Need To Hire An Attorney For My Personal Injury Case?
Do I Need To Hire An Expert in My Personal Injury Case?
What To do In An Accident
how is Kalfus & nachman Different?
You Will Pay No Fees Unless We Win Your Case
We Have Recovered Millions of Dollars for Our Clients
Our Attorneys Are Well-Equipped to Fight Insurance Companies
We Have Successfully Handled Thousands of Cases Since 1979
We are a Full-Service Firm with Multiple Locations
Se Habla Español
free case review
Fill Out The Form Below To Get Started.
- Truck Accidents
When driving near large trucks, it is important to be aware of the dangers they pose. These vehicles can cause serious damage if they collide with smaller cars, so it’s essential to take steps to protect yourself while driving near them. In this blog post, we will discuss some of the ways you can stay safe when sharing the road with these massive ...
- Drunk Driving
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) runs a nationwide campaign to spread the message that Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving, encouraging positive behaviors and helping keep drunk drivers off the road during St. Patrick's Day. St. Patrick's Day is one of the most popular drinking holidays. In 2023 it falls on Friday, which means ...
- Personal Injury,
- Auto Accidents,
- Distracted Driving
Hampton Roads has more than its fair share of dangerous intersections, with several fatal crashes occurring in recent years. Not just the high traffic volume at these locations, but multiple other reasons can be attributed to this. Let's discuss in this article the deadliest intersections in Hampton Roads and the leading causes of injury and death ...