At Kalfus & Nachman, our trusted car accident attorneys in Roanoke have seen many Virginia families' lives turned upside down because of car crashes. According to VDOT, Roanoke is among the top five counties in Virginia with the highest reported motor vehicle accident-related fatalities and injuries. Such mishaps frequently leave victims and their families with significant financial hardships due to medical expenses, rehabilitation expenses, lost wages from missed work, property damage, and economic woes. Thus, it is crucial that you immediately seek expert legal counsel to protect and learn about your rights.
Have you or a loved one been injured in a Roanoke car accident? Our devout legal team strongly believes in the right of personal injury victims to just compensation. Count on our knowledge, depth of experience, and commitment to your case. We will work tirelessly to ensure that you obtain the highest possible compensation while you focus solely on your health recovery. Talk to us about your case today.
Roanoke's Most Dangerous Highways and Crash Hotspots
Deadly is the word to describe these dangerous crash hotspots for drivers in Roanoke - highways I-81, I-581, and US 220. These roads run through Roanoke County and Roanoke City and have witnessed several high-profile fatal accidents over the years. So if you live near them, you should be aware of all possible hazards along these roads before heading out onto them yourself!
- Interstate-81 (I-81): Infamously famous as the "Heroine Highway," I-81 witnesses a traffic volume of approx. 62,000 vehicles each day. Large trucks comprise 20% of this traffic, and the increased number of trucks increases the risk of accidents. According to a VDOT report, a whopping 35 percent of fatal accidents on I-81 involve a truck. Traffic volume and speed are to blame. Despite the I-81 widening work started along a five-mile stretch of both northbound and southbound I-81 in Roanoke County and the city of Salem, traffic congestion and delays related to motor vehicle crashes are frequent on I-81.
- Interstate-581 (I-581): Interstate-81's spur and completely overlapping US 220, I-581 is one of Virginia's most heavily traveled highways. It is a four-lane road from Richmond to Danville and serves the Roanoke Regional Airport, carrying about 52,000 vehicles daily at its peak and comprising 15% of truck volumes. It has had its fair share of problems with traffic congestion and crashes. Drivers trying to get in or out of the area quickly are often seen exceeding speed limits.
- U.S. Route 220 (US 220): Several businesses, residential homes, and schools in the immediate vicinity of US route 220 make it one of the busiest and most dangerous highways in Roanoke City. Sugar Bottom Rd, Electric Rd, and Elm View Rd are a few crash hotspots to watch out for on US-220.
If you have been involved in an accident on one of these highways, contact experienced and committed Roanoke car accident lawyers at Virginia's top-rated personal injury law firm, Kalfus & Nachman. We'll review the facts of your case, help you establish liability, and discuss the best course of action for you and your family. Call us for a free consultation today.
Top Causes of Roanoke Car Accidents
Auto accidents are one of the most common causes of personal injury in Roanoke, VA. Following are some of the leading causes of car accidents in Roanoke:
- Speeding and Aggressive Driving
- Distracted Driving
- Driving Under the Influence
- Tailgating - Following Too Closely
- Failure to Yield
- Improper Left Turns
- Improper Lane Changes
- Falling Asleep at the Wheel or Fatigued Driving
- Running Red Lights
- Defective Vehicles and Vehicle Parts
Key Virginia and Roanoke Crash Statistics
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has released 2021 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) traffic safety facts, with some interesting statistics to help you understand how serious auto accidents are in Virginia and Roanoke. Here are some of the critical crash statistics:
- Ten people lost their lives, and 653 suffered injuries in 1,714 Roanoke Traffic Crash in 2021.
- Approx. 6% (103) of crashes were alcohol-related, with two fatalities and 45 injuries reported.
- 17% of accidents (289 crashes) were speed-related in Roanoke.
- Three deaths and 128 injuries were reported in Roanoke’s speed-related crashes.
- Virginia saw a 12.2% increase in 2021 crashes over 2020.
- 14.3% increase in traffic fatalities, with 968 deaths reported.
- Speed-related crashes jumped 9.5% over 2020 in VA.
- VA's unrestrained occupant crashes increased by 11.3%.
- 11.2% increase in distracted driver-involved crashes in Virginia.
Victim of a Roanoke Car Crash - Know Your Legal Rights
Our Roanoke car accident attorneys believe every crash is preventable, and each innocent victim is entitled to compensation. It is not uncommon for an insurance company to try to avoid paying out on a claim or reducing the compensation available to injured victims. Their insurance adjusters do not hesitate to engage in deceptive or unethical practices to safeguard insurance companies from losses due to personal injury claims.
Trusted car accident attorneys in Roanoke at Kalfus & Nachman handle all types of personal injury cases and have attained millions in verdicts and settlements on behalf of our clients. We can help you understand your legal rights and options so that you get what you need to fully recover from your injuries and losses after a car accident in Roanoke or elsewhere in Virginia. Call us for a free consultation today: 855-880-8163