Motorcycle accidents can occur due to various factors, and understanding the common causes can help prevent them. Some of the most frequent causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Distracted Driving: When drivers engage in activities that divert their attention from the road, such as texting, talking on the phone, or eating, they can easily fail to notice motorcyclists.
- Unsafe Lane Changes: Motorcycles are smaller and more maneuverable than cars, making them harder to spot. Negligent lane changes by other drivers can lead to collisions with motorcycles.
- Speeding: Excessive speed reduces the time drivers have to react to unexpected situations, making it a significant factor in motorcycle accidents.
- Driving Under the Influence: Alcohol or drug impairment significantly impairs a driver's ability to safely operate a vehicle, posing a severe risk to motorcyclists.
- Left-Turn Accidents: Motorcycles are particularly vulnerable when other vehicles make left turns without properly yielding the right of way, leading to collisions.
Motorcycle accidents often result in severe injuries due to the lack of protective barriers afforded to riders. Some common injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): Head injuries are a significant concern for motorcyclists. Even with a helmet, riders can suffer concussions, skull fractures, or other traumatic brain injuries.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: The impact of a motorcycle accident can cause spinal cord damage, resulting in partial or complete paralysis.
- Fractures and Broken Bones: The force of impact can lead to broken bones, including arms, legs, ribs, and pelvis.
- Road Rash: When a rider slides across the pavement, the friction can cause painful abrasions and lacerations known as road rash.
- Internal Injuries: The violent nature of motorcycle accidents can cause internal injuries, such as organ damage or internal bleeding.
Motorcycle accidents pose a higher risk of severe injuries or fatalities compared to other motor vehicle accidents. Several factors contribute to their increased danger, including:
- Lack of Protection: Unlike drivers in enclosed vehicles, motorcyclists lack the protective structure of a car, leaving them more vulnerable to direct impact.
- Size and Visibility: Motorcycles are smaller and harder to see, increasing the likelihood of other drivers failing to notice them on the road.
- Less Stability: Motorcycles are inherently less stable than cars due to their two-wheel design, making them more prone to losing control in adverse weather conditions or uneven road surfaces.
- Limited Crashworthiness: Motorcycles lack safety features like airbags and seat belts, leaving riders exposed to the full force of a collision.
After a motorcycle accident, it's essential to take the following steps to protect your well-being and legal rights:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health is a top priority. Even if you believe your injuries are minor, it's crucial to get a thorough medical evaluation to ensure any underlying issues are identified and treated promptly.
- Report the Accident: Contact the police and provide them with accurate details of the accident. A police report will serve as an official record of the incident.
- Gather Evidence: Collect as much evidence as possible at the scene, including photographs, witness statements, and contact information of all parties involved.
- Do Not Admit Fault: Avoid admitting fault or making statements about the accident until you've consulted with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney.
- Contact Kalfus & Nachman PC: Seek legal representation from our skilled motorcycle accident attorneys who can protect your rights, handle insurance negotiations, and pursue fair compensation on your behalf.
Determining liability in a motorcycle accident case can be complex. Several parties may be held responsible, including:
- Negligent Drivers: Motorists who fail to exercise reasonable care while driving and cause a motorcycle accident can be held liable for their negligence.
- Government Entities: If a poorly maintained road, inadequate signage, or other hazardous road conditions contribute to the accident, government entities may bear responsibility.
- Manufacturers: Defective motorcycle parts or equipment can lead to accidents. In such cases, the manufacturer may be held liable for the injuries sustained.
If you've been injured in a motorcycle accident due to someone else's negligence, you may be entitled to various types of compensation, including:
- Medical Expenses: Coverage for past and future medical bills, hospital stays, surgeries, medications, and rehabilitative therapy.
- Lost Wages: Compensation for income lost during your recovery period and potential future earnings if you are unable to work.
- Pain and Suffering: Damages for physical pain, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life resulting from the accident.
- Property Damage: Reimbursement for repair or replacement of your motorcycle and other damaged property.
At Kalfus & Nachman PC, we have a proven track record of successfully representing motorcycle accident victims in Norfolk, VA. Our skilled attorneys will:
- Investigate the Accident: We will gather evidence, consult with experts if necessary, and reconstruct the accident to determine liability.
- Handle Insurance Companies: We will negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, ensuring they don't take advantage of your rights or offer inadequate settlements.
- Build a Strong Legal Strategy: Our experienced attorneys will craft a comprehensive legal strategy tailored to your unique circumstances, maximizing your chances of obtaining fair compensation.
- Advocate for Your Rights: We will fiercely advocate for your rights, both in and out of the courtroom, to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
If you've been injured in a motorcycle accident in Norfolk, VA, don't hesitate to contact Kalfus & Nachman PC today. Our dedicated team of motorcycle accident attorneys is ready to provide you with the skilled legal representation you need during this challenging time.
“I highly recommend Kalfus & Nachman. They were on point from start to finish. Their office called me to keep me informed every step of the way. Everyone was friendly and returned calls and e-mails promptly! Very professional!”- Victor Gilmore
“They took the time needed to listen and explain the answers to any questions I asked. The follow-up to return my calls was excellent and the results were unparalleled.”- Nancy Lewis
“I was able to gain a sense of "calm" in the midst of dealing with an injury and all the hardship that comes with it. Thanks!!!”- K. Williams
- $10.5 Million Recovered Truck Accident
- $10.9 Million Recovered Traumatic Brain Injury
- $2.2 Million Recovered Premises Liability
Hernandez Attorney Read More
Kalfus of Counsel Read More
Nachman of Counsel Read More
Aufenger, III of Counsel Read More
Suit III of Counsel Read More
Fitzgerald, II Attorney Read More
Scott Attorney Read More
Jacobs Attorney Read More
Levens Attorney Read More
O'Dawe Attorney Read More
Schulwolf Attorney Read More
Smircina Attorney Read More
Vaughn Attorney Read More
Sternberg Attorney Read More
Donahue Attorney Read More
Thomasson Attorney Read More
Sachs Attorney Read More
Camden Attorney Read More
Do I Need To Hire An Attorney For My Personal Injury Case?
Do I Need To Hire An Expert in My Personal Injury Case?
What To do In An Accident
You Will Pay No Fees Unless We Win Your Case
We Have Recovered Millions of Dollars for Our Clients
Our Attorneys Are Well-Equipped to Fight Insurance Companies
We Have Successfully Handled Thousands of Cases Since 1979
We are a Full-Service Firm with Multiple Locations
Se Habla Español
- Social Security Disability
Intellectual disability is a complex condition that affects millions of individuals worldwide. In this blog post, we will delve into the definition of intellectual disability, explore the qualifications for obtaining assistance, and provide valuable tips for individuals and families navigating this challenging journey. At Kalfus & Nachman PC, we ...
- Truck Accidents
Trucking accidents are among the deadliest accidents on the roadways. The large size and weight of semi-trucks make them a force to reckon with in an accident. Being involved in a trucking accident can be traumatic, and it's essential to know what to do if you ever find yourself in one. In this blog post, we will discuss everything you need to know ...
- Firm News
Attorney Paul Hernandez was featured in a blog by Neos, a cloud-based management software, discussing how the use of cutting-edge technology has made their law firm more efficient, highly productive and incredibly profitable. This blog explores the transformative impact of legal tech, featuring interviews with successful lawyers Frank Nunes and ...