Hampton Roads has more than its fair share of dangerous intersections, with several fatal crashes occurring in recent years. Not just the high traffic volume at these locations, but multiple other reasons can be attributed to this. Let's discuss in this article the deadliest intersections in Hampton Roads and the leading causes of injury and death at these dangerous junctions.
Most Dangerous Intersections in Hampton Roads
Hampton Roads witnessed a total of 24,712 crashes, 15,118 injuries, and 162 fatalities in the year 2022. Cities with the highest number of accidents include Virginia Beach city (5,317), Norfolk City (3,847), Hampton City (3,371), Newport News City (3,274), and Chesapeake City (2,571). Some intersections in Hampton Roads have been identified as particularly dangerous due to the high number of accidents. Here is a list:
- Indian River Road and Kempsville Road Intersection in Virginia Beach
- Dominion Boulevard and Great Bridge Boulevard Intersection in Chesapeake
- Military Highway, Northampton Boulevard, and Princess Anne Road Intersection in Norfolk
- W. Mercury Boulevard and Coliseum Drive in Hampton
- W. Mercury Boulevard and Power Plant Parkway in Hampton
- Greenbrier Parkway and Volvo Parkway Intersection in Chesapeake
- Battlefield Boulevard and Cedar Road Intersection in Chesapeake
A report by WTKR ranked the intersection of Indian River Road and Kempsville Road in Virginia Beach as the most hazardous in the city, with 49 auto accidents occurring in 2021. Other dangerous intersections in Hampton Roads include W. Pembroke Ave. and N Armistead Ave., LaSalle Ave. and Settlers Landing Rd., N. Armistead Ave and LaSalle Ave. in Hampton, which all had a high number of crashes over the last three years. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, and there may be other dangerous intersections in the Hampton Roads region. If you have been involved in a car crash at any intersection, consult a seasoned personal injury attorney in Hampton Roads to understand your legal options.
Top Causes of Intersection Accidents in Hampton Roads
Motorists must be aware of their surroundings, drive defensively, follow traffic laws and signals, and remain attentive to other drivers and pedestrians to avoid intersection accidents. The most common causes of accidents at the deadliest intersections in Hampton Roads include the following:
- Driver Error - While you may be a cautious driver, you cannot rely on other drivers to do the same. A driver speeding, running a red light, tailgating, making an illegal turn, and failing to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians or bicyclists are the leading causes of intersection accidents. Some reasons for these behaviors include impatience, carelessness, and lack of attention to traffic signals.
- Traffic Congestion - Driving toward an intersection brings together drivers from different roads. The vehicles approaching the corner travel at different speeds, some slower than others, which can cause congestion and accidents.
- Heavy Traffic During Rush Hours - Drivers need to pay close attention when driving through areas with a high traffic volume, such as near schools and hospitals. When driving through these areas, it's crucial for drivers to be on the lookout for pedestrians and cyclists who may be trying to cross the street at an intersection or on another corner of your view.
- Driver's Failure to Scan the Road - Drivers may fail to scan the road before proceeding through an intersection, leading to accidents. For example, drivers may not look in their rearview and side-view mirrors before switching lanes. Turning at an intersection requires careful scanning of the road and never assuming the right of way without looking.
- Alcohol-impaired Driving - Alcohol-impaired driving is a significant cause of fatalities in intersection accidents. Approximately 1,400 accidents occurred in the Hampton Roads region in the year 2022.
- Distracted Driving - Hampton Roads is a busy place, with many intersections where collisions can occur. Drivers should be mindful of their surroundings and avoid being distracted by their phones or other things while driving.
Safety Tips to Avoid Intersection Accidents in Hampton Roads, Virginia
According to statistics, intersections are considered one of the most common places where vehicle accidents occur, with an estimated 43% of crashes happening at intersections. To avoid intersection accidents in Virginia, here are some tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings and stay alert when approaching an intersection. Watch for any drivers who may be ignoring traffic signals or stop signs.
- Always obey traffic signals, stop signs, and other road markings. Come to a complete stop at a red light before proceeding into the intersection.
- Look both ways before proceeding into an intersection, even if you have the right -of-way. Check for any pedestrians or bicyclists that may be crossing the street.
- Avoid distracted driving, such as using your phone or eating while driving, as it can take your focus away from the road and increase the risk of an accident.
- Be a safe driver and do not indulge in illegal maneuvers like speeding, aggressive driving, or making an illegal turn.
- Keep a safe following distance from the vehicle in front of you, especially when approaching an intersection. It can give you more time to react if the vehicle ahead stops abruptly or the intersection is congested.
Implementing these tips can help minimize the risk of accidents when driving through intersections in Virginia. Additionally, the Federal Highway Administration conducts research and provides strategies to improve intersection safety in the long term. The National Safety Council also commissioned a report on the future of mobility to inform future efforts to improve traffic safety. Deploying innovative intersection and interchange designs, including modern traffic circles, mini-roundabouts, and continuous-flow intersections can help improve intersection safety.
Injured? Hampton Roads Car Accident Lawyer Can Help!
If you have been injured in an accident at the deadliest intersections in Hampton Roads, immediately hiring a personal injury lawyer is a wise decision. A skilled auto accident attorney can help you navigate the complicated process of determining fault, gathering evidence, negotiating with insurance companies, and obtaining a fair settlement for your injuries.
Virginia's top-rated Hampton Roads intersection accident attorneys at Kalfus & Nachman work on a contingency fee basis, which means we only get paid if you receive a settlement or win a judgment in court. It can help ease the financial burden of hiring an attorney, as you won't have to pay out of pocket. Call us for a free consultation today: 855-880-8163