Memorial Day Weekend Travel Tips
With Memorial Day Weekend just about here, we wanted to check in with a few quick tips to have the safest, most enjoyable vacation possible—whether you're driving across town or across the state. Memorial Day is a big holiday for traveling, and the increased number of vehicles on the road also means more potential for accidents. So, to stay safe on the road this weekend, keep these points in mind:
- Try to leave early for your destination. Avoiding peak driving hours also means avoiding traffic, congestion, and a higher probability for crashes.
- Always obey the speed limit, and be patient! Better to be a few minutes late than have a fender bender.
- Study alternate routes before you leave, so you have an idea of where to go if and when your GPS decides to stop working.
- Be vigilant. While many road crews take the weekend off, you may still encounter cones, barricades and detours on your trip.
- Never drive drowsy, and by extension, try to avoid driving at times when you're usually sleeping.
- Avoid distractions—no phones, no food, no rubbernecking. Distracted driving is one of the major causes of car accidents.
Holiday travel can be stressful, especially with thousands of other vehicles on the road. But don't let stress get to you—follow these tips, keep your eyes and mind on the road, and you'll get to your destination in no time. And from all of us at Kalfus and Nachman, have a safe and happy Memorial Day! #holidaytravel #memorialday