With the Federal Government Shutdown in place, certain social securities services have been suspended. The Social Security Administration has released important information regarding the shutdown:
- Social Security field offices are open with limited services
- Hearings offices remain open to conduct hearings before an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ).
- Social Security card centers are closed. Social Security and Supplemental Security Income payments to beneficiaries will continue with no change in payment dates.
Due to Congressional inaction to prevent the Government shutdown, only the following services will be provided at Social Security field offices:
- Help you apply for benefits
- Assist you in requesting an appeal
- Change your address or direct deposit information
- Accept reports of death
- Verify or change your citizenship status
- Replace a lost or missing Social Security payment
- Issue a critical payment
- Change a representative payee
- Process a change in your living arrangement or income (SSI recipients only)
The Social Security offices cannot provide the following services at this time:
- Issue new or replacement Social Security cards
- Replace your Medicare card
- Issue a proof of income letter
It is important to note that during the shutdown, Online Services will remain open. If you or a loved one need assistance regarding your social security claim contact the attorneys at Kalfus & Nachman today.