Newport News Car Accidents Attorneys
Aggressive Representation Since 1979
Were you seriously injured in a car accident? At Kalfus & Nachman PC, we are on your side to help you fight to obtain the full and fair compensation to which you are entitled. Following your injuries, your most important priority needs to be recovery. With experienced Newport News personal injury attorneys on your side, you can feel confident about your ability to pay for all the healthcare services necessary to get back to life as quickly and fully as possible.
How We Can Help You Obtain Compensation
Pursuing a claim for your injuries means bringing a lawsuit against an individual or, more often, their insurance carrier. These companies have a reputation for protecting their interests and avoiding responsibility at all costs.
In many cases, the first call an injury victim receives is one from an insurance representative asking them how they are doing and offering to cover the cost of their healthcare. Unfortunately, these initial settlements are usually far below the amount needed to truly do so. Kalfus & Nachman PC knows the strategies that work when fighting for the compensation you need.
We can help you:
- Prove that you were not at fault for your injuries
- Demonstrate the severity of damages caused by the other party
- Show how they were responsible for the accident
- Detail the full extent of the compensation you need to obtain
- Deal with the insurance company
By working with our team, you will have all the information and counsel you need to get through your legal proceedings. Our firm has handled thousands of cases, securing millions of dollars in damage awards along the way.
How We Can Investigate Your Accident
Trucking companies and their insurers fight tenaciously to defeat trucking accident claims brought against them by injured drivers in smaller vehicles because losing would hurt their wallets and reputations. To give them an honest fight in settlement negotiations or litigation, you should come prepared with a thoroughly investigated claim. Our attorneys have been going head-to-head with major insurance companies since 1979, so we know many ways to improve your claim through careful investigations and relevant sources of evidence.
Accessing important documents such as the following can help:
- Hours of service records: We will want to know if the truck driver had been on the road for an unreasonable amount of time before your crash, which would suggest they were suffering from fatigue while driving.
- Trucker’s driving history: Does the truck driver have a history of speeding, intoxication, crashes, etc.? If so, then the trucking company could be liable for allowing an unsafe trucker to haul their freight.
- Cargo manifests: Bills of lading and cargo manifests can reveal that a trailer was overloaded. Overweight trailers increase the risk of the truck tipping over or slamming into the back of stopped traffic due to brake failures.
- Maintenance logs: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations require commercial trucks to be maintained on regular schedules. If a repair or inspection was missed, then it could increase the trucker’s liability in a crash.
- Event data recorder files: Some trucks are equipped with event data recorders (EDR) that track the vehicle’s speed, throttle position, brake use, steering angle, and more. It is much like a plane’s black box, and it can be the source of powerful evidence for the claimant to utilize.
It is crucial that we gain access to these documents as soon as possible. Trucking companies can often erase or destroy records after a few weeks without legal consequence, which means the best evidence for your claim could disappear. If you retain our legal services soon after your truck accident, then we can send a letter to the trucking company to preserve all relevant records.
Call (855) 880-8163 Now
It is never advisable to bring a lawsuit against an insurer on your own. Their legal teams are often among the most aggressive and well-connected, and they will stop at nothing to avoid paying you the compensation you need. Kalfus & Nachman PC understands the strategies that work when building cases. We can help you identify the best way to proceed through your case, keeping you informed and up to date throughout the entire process.
Get started on your free consultation by calling (855) 880-8163.