Call For A Free Consultation 24/7 - Se Habla Español

I filed a claim on my auto insurance, do I have to have the car fixed?

So, you had an accident that in your older vehicle. It’s a bit banged up, but it still runs and that's all you need it to do. You received a check from the other driver’s insurance company and you are mulling over what to do with it. Should you use it to get your car fixed or should you use the money for something else, bills for example?

Once you get the check from your  auto insurance company, the decision to have your car fixed or not is basically at your discretion.

If you can live with the damage, then the insurance check is yours to do with as you wish, there is no stipulation that you have to spend it to fix your car. The insurance company will just pay for the loss you incurred just as long as that loss is covered. However, if your loan is still not fully been paid you may want to speak with your insurance agent to figure out your options.

This applies whether it is your insurance company or the other party's insurance company that pays for claim. This applies whether it’s your insurance that pays or the other driver’s You are in the clear, unless the car loan still has not been fully paid; in that case you might want to speak to your insurance agent about your next steps.

Here are some considerations to make when you make the decision whether to fix the damage or take the cash:

Your car was obtained through an existing car loan, or you lease it. Your bank will want to know that the car’s value does not considerably diminish in value as a result of your decision not to have it fixed. You have the responsibility of letting your bank know about the damage your car has sustained.

Whether the damage is cosmetic or     serious.  You may decide not to get your car fixed if it is only minora damaged. On the other hand, if the damage is something significant that will affect how your car will run, it's probably a good idea to have your car fixed.

Whether it makes sense in your particular situation to have the car fixed. If you were already planning to get a new car and sell your old car, you may decide to just take the check to use toward your new car.

If you or a family member has been injured in an accident caused by another person, it might be a good idea to consult an experience personal injury attorney. We will tenaciously represent you and work to get you the maximum amount you deserve. Please contact Kalfus & Nachman today by calling (855) 880-8163. We are proud to serve the communities of Norfolk, Newport News, and Roanoke, Virginia.


How We Are Different

  • You Will Pay No Fees Unless We Win Your Case
  • We Have Recovered Millions of Dollars for Our Clients
  • Our Attorneys Are Well-Equipped to Fight Insurance Companies
  • We Have Successfully Handled Thousands of Cases Since 1979
  • We are a Full-Service Firm with Multiple Locations
  • Se Habla Español

Free Case Review

Fill out the form below to get started.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.