Auto Accident Attorney
Norfolk, Newport News, and Roanoke, Virginia
According to U.S. National Transportation Library, more than 78,000 pedestrians were injured in traffic accidents and another 4,739 died in 2000. Most of these pedestrian accidents were a direct result of driver negligence. Literally, we take our lives in our hands every time we step into the street.
In Virginia, drivers are considered negligent if:
- They're inattentive or pre-occupied.
- They fail to observe posted speed limits.
- They fail to observer the right of way to pedestrians at marked cross walks.
- They drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
On average, a traffic crash kills a pedestrian every 110 minutes and injures a pedestrian every 9 minutes in the United States.
Most 2006 pedestrian fatalities occurred:
- In urban areas (74%)
- At non-intersection locations (79%)
- In normal weather conditions (90%)
- At night (69%)
Alcohol plays a large part in many pedestrian deaths. Sometimes it is the driver who is over the legal limit. Sometimes, it is the pedestrian:
- 47% of fatal traffic crashes in 2006 involved alcohol.
- Of those fatalities, 34% of pedestrians had a blood alcohol concentration level of .08 or higher.
- Among the drivers, 13% had blood alcohol concentration levels .08 or higher.
- In 6% of crashes, both driver and pedestrian had blood alcohol concentration levels of .08 or higher.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured or died in a pedestrian vs. automobile accident in Virginia, the auto accident attorneys at Kalfus & Nachman can help you receive a fair settlement. This settlement should compensate you for your recovery expenses including:
- Medical and hospital bills
- Lost income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Sorting out the facts of your case and determining who is at fault can be tricky. Choose a highly experienced Kalfus & Nachman car accident lawyer who knows how to deal with all of the entities involved, bring to light all of the pertinent facts of your case, and ensure you get the compensation you justly deserve. Please contact us today in Norfolk, Hampton, Newport News, Portsmouth, Roanoke, and Virginia Beach, Virginia. “Tell Them You Mean Business.”