Car Accident Attorneys
Attorneys representing Norfolk, Newport News, Roanoke & nearby areas of Virginia
While we all strive to be responsible drivers, sometimes the unexpected happens and a car accident occurs. With motorcycles, large trucks, and even the addition of small smart cars on the road, the congestion leads itself to more and more accidents in the United States. Oftentimes, an automobile accident can lead to serious injuries, and you may have recourse to file a lawsuit for against the negligent driver to pursue compensation for your pain and suffering.
If you've been injured in a car accident, please contact the Virginia car accident attorneys at Kalfus & Nachman Attorneys at Law. Our team has the experience you need to help you during this stressful time. Call us today at 800-361-0430 for a free consultation. We proudly serve all of Virginia and Northeast North Carolina.
Common Car Accident Injuries
For over 30 years, the personal injury attorneys Kalfus & Nachman Attorneys at Law have been representing Virginia residents seriously injured in car accidents. Over the years, we have fought tirelessly to make sure those injured got the financial compensation they needed and deserved.
Some car accident injuries are immediately apparent while others may not show symptoms for quite some time after the accident. Head injuries may not show symptoms at all. For this reason, regardless of how you feel after a car accident, you should seek medical attention immediately. After a series of diagnostic tests, your doctor will be able to ascertain whether or not you have suffered some type of injury as a result of your car accident.
Some of the most common car accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Broken bones
- Muscle strains and sprains
Compensation We Can Pursue
We understand the devastation that can result from a car accident with catastrophic injuries and how it can cause negative effects for years to come. Medical bills and the cost of rehabilitation and care can place undue burden and stress on your entire family. Our experienced and highly-trained lawyers will fight on your behalf to pursue fair and just compensation for your pain and suffering to help alleviate the financial burden on you and your family.
We can pursue compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity due to injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral expenses in the event of wrongful death
What to Do If You're in a Car Accident
A car accident can be a very difficult and scary event to endure. There are several important factors to remember if you've been in a car accident. All of the following can help you protect yourself if you take the accident to the courts. These steps include:
- Stop immediately: Virginia law states that if you are driving a vehicle involved in an accident, you must stop at the accident scene.
- Contact the authorities: The police can help document the scene and ensure everyone's safety
- Seek medical attention: Even if believe you don't have any injuries, severe car accident injuries take days or weeks to manifest themselves, so always visit the doctor to ensure that you don't have underlying injuries
- Document the scene: Document all of the details of the accident. The physical evidence, including position of the cars and length of skid marks, will be useful for your case. Make a list and take photos of all damaged property and injuries. Keep track of all doctor visits, prescriptions, and contact with insurance companies/adjusters.
- Gather witness statements: Write down the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses who may have important information about the accident.
- Never admit fault: Give no statements, oral or written, to anyone except the police officer investigating your accident. Do not admit or sign anything, even if you think you are at fault. Insurance companies will try to get you to admit fault as their job is to try to avoid paying large settlements.
- Call your Virginia car accident lawyer: Contact Kalfus & Nachman as soon as possible so we can help you talk with your insurance company and determine if you have recourse to file a lawsuit.
Teen Driving Tips
When you have a teenager that is getting ready to start driving either with their learner's permit or their driver's license, it’s imperative that they practice safe driving techniques. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among teenagers, aged 15 to 20. With this kind of a terrifying statistic, it’s vital to teach your teens safe practices when behind the wheel.
The car accident attorneys at Kalfus & Nachman want to see the teens of our community practice safe driving and are happy to offer some safety tips for you and your teens, including:
- Wear seatbelts: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 55% of all the teens (13-19) that died in a car crash in 2012 weren't wearing their seatbelts
- Don't drive distracted: Put down cell phones, avoid eating, drinking, grooming, and being distracted by your passengers or loud music in your vehicle
- Limit the number of passengers in your vehicle: In Virginia, there are several regulations about the quantities and times you can have people in your vehicle. For specifics about these laws, please visit the Virginia DMV teen driving restrictions page
- Obey speed limits and traffic signals
- Don't drink and drive
- Avoid driving at night
- Make sure that your teen has a safe and reliable vehicle
While these tips are centered on teaching your teen healthy driving habits, they are also good reminders for everyone so that we can keep our roadways safe for all drivers.
Contact Your Car Accident Attorney Today
Our experienced attorneys have dealt with countless car accident lawsuits and know exactly how to represent you in order to get you the largest settlement possible. We’re here to help you learn your rights and hold the responsible party accountable.
If you've been injured in a car accident, please contact Kalfus & Nachman Attorneys at Law today by calling 800-361-0430. Our experienced car accident attorneys serve clients in the areas of Newport News, Norfolk, and Roanoke, Virginia.